Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Review

Wow! We're more than halfway through the year, summer's almost over, and we're moving right along with our food storage and emergency preparedness goals.

I just updated the POST from February where I outlined what we were going to talk about every month. In my excitement, I originally plans to combine some categories so that we could talk about everything by the end of the year.

As the year has progress, I have been trying to build my food storage and 72-hour kits along with my posts. Some months aren't too hard. Some are very hard. (Like MEAT! I don't have enough MEAT in my house! haha)

So I have updated the outline and we will be going into 2013 before we get through all our 3-month supply items. I think this is a good thing. It gives us (me) more time to really focus on specific items. For example, I originally was going to combine fruits and veggies into one month. Now we will talk about them in September and October, giving more time to inventory, organize and purchase needed items.

That leads me to the next item of business. I am hoping that others are doing the same thing as I am, but sometimes I assume that others understand me and I haven't actually explained myself. SO...here's a little bit about what I do every month to build my food storage.

#1- Inventory. I know. The word alone is scary. But you HAVE to know what you have in order to know what you NEED. So get a notebook, a piece of paper, etc. and count what you have.

If you have 5 pounds of meat in your house, don't be discouraged. At least you know what you have so you can stock up on that item.

#2 Organize! I am weird. I am really organized with some things and a total wreck with others. As far as food storage is concerned, I have a notebook with my inventory, which I write in every time I use one of my food storage items. Then I write on my shopping list what I need to replace.

For example, today I grabbed my last can of cranberry sauce. We have one recipe that we use cranberry sauce so I try to keep 3 on hand. For some reason, I haven't been keeping up but now I have written on my grocery list to pick up 3 cans of cranberry sauce. I can do that.

You may need to be creative in where you store your items, but do what works for you (even if it means putting canned food under your bed!).

As far as 72-hour kit stuff, I have MOST of my emergency items in one closet, except for a large suitcase that is in my garage. I also have notes in my food storage notebook about what I have and what I need.

#3 Purchase. Every 3-month supply post has information on good prices for food items. This is a good way to start getting to know what prices are good for specific items. It helps you know when something is low enough to really stock up!

Most of us can't go out and buy everything we need every month, but if you can spend $5-10 on that item in a month, you're that much closer to your goal.

Don't forget to purchase your 72-hour kit items as well!

#4 Restock! To keep your food storage supply up, replace items as you use them. I didn't do this with my cranberry sauce, that items isn't as crucial either. Items that are more necessary need to be replaced right away, if possible.

For me, I always want one extra container of olive oil on hand. I don't use it a TON so I don't store more than that. Today when I was making my cranberry recipe, I opened up my olive oil. Time to restock!

Depending on the item though, I want and restock when it's on sale.

For example, I have seem canned pineapple for 88 cents a can in the past, but lately anything less than $1 is good. But I don't really want to spend a dollar on each can. We go through pineapple so FAST at our house, so I don't restock it as fast as I should. I usually just wait until the next big sale.

Restocking implies ROTATION. Remember that it is important to rotate food so you won't have old, outdated items. This includes your 72-hour kit food and clothing items. Especially with kids, your emergency clothing needs to be rotated regularly.


Most of all, don't get stressed! Do what works for you and your budget. Do what makes you feel better and more prepared, but don't go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment