Tuesday, January 1, 2013

3-month supply: Soups & Meals

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!! Hope you all had a great Christmas and are ready to take on 2013!!!
 
Let's talk about a 3-month supply of soups and meals.
 
How much??? You need to decide that depending on what your family eats.
 
Some ideas of soups and meals you can store are:
 
Broths, cream soups, tomato soup, chilis, stew, raviolis, ramen noddles, macaroni & cheese, Hamburger Helper, etc.
 
Even if you don't normally eat some of these pre-made meals, it can be handy to have them on hand in case of an emergency, or a night where you just don't want to cook.
 
You can also store frozen pizzas and meals. They may not be great for a power outage, but to have them on hand for those lazy nights or a week that you're out of grocery money can helpful.
 
 
You all know that I am pretty crazy about preparedness stuff. But I want you to realize that I am also realistic and I don't have a big budget for my food storage. Honestly, my goal this year is to spend $10 a paycheck on storage items. So this month, I will go to the store and buy $10 worth of mac & cheese or frozen pizza. For real.
 
My other food storage related goal is to take inventory each month of the specific area I talk about on the blog. So, I will look through my soups and meals in January to see what I have and what things I need most. This really helps because you only have to inventory a small amount of items instead of getting overwhelmed with counting all my storage.
 
So as you think of the goals you want to make this year, be easy on yourself and realistic. Don't stress, just do what you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment