Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why I Prepare

In the last few years, it seems that more and more people around me have become interested in food storage and emergency preparedness. Being LDS, I have heard Church leaders counsel for years about being prepared. In fact, since the late 1800s, after the Mormons settled Utah, they were advised by their leaders to store food. Back then, it wasn't really necessary to remind people to be self-reliant because for the most part they had to farm or ranch to make their own living.

It is easy for you and I to go to the grocery store and grab a can of fruit any time. We can see, however, examples of why this may not always be the case.

So these are some of MY reasons for being prepared:

1. It's what the Lord wants me to do. I believe that the leaders of my church, specifically the President of the Church who were believe to be the Lord's prophet on the Earth, are called of God and that their counsel and advise is from a loving Heavenly Father who only wants the best for me.

2. Natural disasters. We have seen examples of this time and again with hurricanes, earthquakes and more. We can learn from these experiences that it CAN happen to us and there are things we can do to be more prepared for these disasters.

3. Economic hardship. Over the last few years, we have all seen so many of our friends and family members without sufficient work. When I think of those around me that have lost jobs, I can see that the ones that had savings and food storage have had a more positive outlook, and have been able to get through the hard time without a lot of outside help. I have seen others who have had to completely rely on government or church assistance and help from family members. (I am NOT saying that any of these things are bad. There is a time and a place for each of them. I do believe, however, that we feel better about ourselves when we can be more self-reliant. I think that when parents are the primary providers for their own families, they take more satisfaction in what they have.)

4. Convenience. This one might sound funny at first, but I have found that having a few extra items at home in case of an emergency has been helpful when I have times when I do not want to run to the store. I love being able to ask my kids to go grab another ketchup out of the storage room and simply making a note that I need another one, rather than rushing to the store or bothering neighbors. I understand, however, that it takes time and money to reach the point where you feel it's convenient. When you're just getting started, it can feel anything BUT convenient. Just keep working at it!!

5. Peace of mind.  Along with convenience, once you have a little bit of food and money set aside, there is a peace that comes. Being prepared helps you feel like you can still have control in a situation that may be out of your control.


Whatever YOUR reasons, remember them as you get frustrated and annoyed. Understand that you can't have everything stored right away, just work at it little by little. Talk to your kids about it. Help them to take responsibility for the things they have so that they can grow to be more self-reliant individuals.

Most of all, keep it simple! You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment