Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Canning Chicken

This is me, a few years ago with some of my canned chicken.


A few years ago my friend and I decided to can chicken when there was an awesome sale on frozen chicken. We got some instructions from her mom and spent the next several days thawing chicken and then canning.

It can be a long process, but it is wonderful to be able to grab a jar of cooked chicken to quickly add to almost any meal.

I wanted to can some myself this month so I could take some good pictures, but that's not happening, but I found a website that has great instructions: How to Start Canning Chicken on CanningBasics.com.

You have to have a pressure cooker to can meat. I bought one a few years ago for about $80. It isn't a small purchase so you need to know you are going to use it. If you're not ready for that you may want to ask around and try to borrow one from a friend or relative.

You also need a pressure cooker when canning potatoes, green beans, and other low acid vegetables which require higher temperatures in order to kill bacterias such as botulism.

For more information on canning meats, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment