Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Why should I have a 3-month supply of food?

What are some reasons to have food, water and other items stored in your home? It is an added expense and takes up room, right? Plus, you feel guilty for not having what you think you need. Maybe even this blog, which is supposed to help make this aspect of your life a little easier, is causing some extra stress right now. I hope not, but getting initally organized can be overwhelming.

That being said, let's talk about some benefits of storing.

1. We have been encouraged to do it. I am LDS and our church leaders have, for years, been telling us to become more prepared temporally. LDS.org states:

"Build a small supply of food that is part of your normal, daily diet. One way to do this is to purchase a few extra items each week to build a one-week supply of food. Then you can gradually increase your supply until it is sufficient for three months. These items should be rotated regularly to avoid spoilage." (Click HERE for more info.)

2. To save money, in the long run. When you buy in bulk or by the case, you can usually get food and household items for less than buying them one at a time. The downside is that you have to fork out more money initially.

It can also save you gas money. If you have enough food stored that you won't have to go to the grocery store several times in one week, you will save on gas, plus whatever else you may have decided to grab while you were out.

3. Security. It definitely gives me some peace knowing that I have 30 rolls of toilet paper in the basement and two boxes of diapers. Sounds dumb, but I like to know that I have enough right now.

4. Unexpected circumstances...job loss, natural diaster, maybe even an added expense you weren't planning like new tires. We don't like to think about these things, but sometimes we need to suck it up and be realistic.

I'm sure you can think of some more reasons. In fact, I hope you do. I hope your counting your storage is going well. I'd love to hear from you about it!

If this is not up your alley, we'll have lots of other important things to discuss soon, so don't give up in being more independent...more self-reliant!

NEXT POST: Financial Self-reliance

1 comment:

  1. Very true! I'm definitely lacking in the long term storage department, but I always have a good supply of back up food, and even though I rarely use them, canned vegetables. Lots of canned beans and tomatoes. I just pick up a couple extra at each shopping trip. Or go to an outlet store and buy in bulk for cheap. It's come in handy for the few months after college that Scott was looking for a job, then more recently when expenses/taxes/gas got a hold of us. It's great to know that we can go for a couple of months without needing food money.
    One of those boxes of toilet paper (Costco or Sam's Club) lasts us for an entire year! I always have a supply on hand of that. Along with oral health, soap, shampoo, deodorant. Another good thing to stock up on, if you have pets, is pet food. I used to run out and I didn't buy mine locally. I started getting a couple of bags at one time.

    I do need to do inventory, especially since the last two months were food storage months! Thanks for the worksheet!

    ReplyDelete