Sunday, January 22, 2012

Where to start...

So you want to be more self-reliant? More prepared?

Well, this is where we're going to start. First we are going to see what we already have. Inventory!!!

Click HERE for a great worksheet I found on my favorite preparedness blog, Prepared LDS Family. You can download your own to use on Excel.

You can also click HERE for a food storage calculator. (It calculates for one year, I know, but it can still give you the general idea.)

At first is seems like a lot and you may not have much but it is always best to start with what you know. For example, if you have some grains but no sugars, then you can watch for the next sale on sugar. Makes sense, right?

DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! And start small. Even if you have 4 or 6 people in your family, enter in one person and see if it is realistic for you to start building up a small supply of food, water and other items.

Another thing, don't worry about storing items that you don't use. If you have never used wheat, don't worry about that. Maybe you want to learn about it and use it in the future, but for now think of storing what you use. For example, I do not like pancake mixes anymore. I would rather make pancakes from scratch. So I just ignore that. Simple. Also, I have never used corn meal. I should and I want to, but I haven't so I am not storing it right now. Simple.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Robyn! Looking forward to being reminded of the things I can do for our family. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun new blog, Robyn! I'm excited to read it. I have a lot to learn from you. So, now I will sit at your feet and bask in the glow of your knowledge. :) heh heh...I know. I'm a dork.

    Here's the link to a blog that does Blog Hops once a week on Wednesdays(and they include preparedness stuff).... http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/01/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-10/

    You can link up a post and it'll help get the word out about your brand spankin' new and sparkly blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete