Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Home organization: Routine

This is important. When I had my first child, I didn't believe in routines. Probably because so many people were telling me that I needed one. I rebelled against it, but it wasn't too bad because I only had one child at home and we lived in a small apartment. It didn't get too messy or unorganized. Plus, we ate a lot of quick meals back then, so meal planning along with food storage were not something I was focused on. BUT, the more kids I've had, the more space we live in and the more important meal planning and storing food has become to me, the more important and ESSENTIAL a routine has become. Kids do better with routines and so does my sanity.

My routine right down is based on necessity. They are the simple and basic things I need to keep myself and my family healthy and my home a general clean place to be. I have daily, weekly and monthly routines.

For example, I do laundry on Mondays and Fridays. I clean my bathrooms on Tuesday. Wednesday is my budgeting day. Thursday I meal plan. I also have certain times that I vacuum, wash bedding, and all the other wonderful things I need to do.

As for daily routines, the big kids' school schedules are the pattern. After we get my first grader to school, I start whatever housework needs to be done that day and I get the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher. We try usually have a snack at 10am and maybe watch a show. We eat lunch about noon and get my Kindergartener to school about 12:30pm. Baby goes down for a nap and my 3 year old either lies down too, or watches a show while I get some computer time in. Before you know it, it's 3:30pm and the boys are home. We do eat a snack, do homework and read. Then the kids do their chores. The kids have some play time before dinner, eat and then we start getting ready for bed.

That's a whole different routine which includes baths, brushing teeth, pajamas, reading together, prayers, and letting the boys read for a while before we turn off the lights. One thing that I have learned about bedtime is to start early and not stress.

Using a planner helps me keep track of my life. I have so much going on in my head sometimes that if I don't write things down (or put them in my phone) I may not remember them. I right some of my routine items in my planner and my TO DO lists. This way I have ONE place that I look (two if you count my phone, I guess) to see what in the world I need to get done that day or any extra activities the family has going on.

An important thing to remember is to be FLEXIBLE. If I have to go to store during naptime, then I will. I also try to let the kids play outside when friends are out, even though I might have a list of things for them to do.

Remember, scheduling DOES NOT mean being busy. Don't overbook yourself or your kids! Protect your free time and theirs!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Robyn! I need to get structured! Annabelle wakes up and asks me what today is, and then she asks "what do we do on tuesdays?" I don't know, I tell her. Sad? Yes. I'm able to stay on top of laundry and housework ok, but I definitely need to start a routine for my children's sake. I'm not sure how to start. Every night I am busting my butt to try and get the kids to sleep, and the kids are rarely asleep before ten. Annabelle starts school in august, and I'm terrified that they'll put her on the morning schedule! I can't get her up in the morning. I need help! Any suggestions? I feel like a drill captain whenever I try to get the kids to bed, and everybody resists even more. The kids play most of the day, but do help me out some. I've got a few clean up games with incentives that have been helping a lot, but I guess bedtime is the main problem. We're all so tired all morning after not getting enough sleep that I can't even think about a schedule. blah blah...sorry to complain:)

    ReplyDelete