Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Smart Shopping

When you're on a strict budget (which we all should be) then it's important to get as much out of a dollar as possible, right? One way you can stretch that dollar is to be a smart shopper.

Here are some tips:

1. Know what things cost. For example: Once I bought a case of 24 cans of pineapple for $.99 a can, and then saw that the were $.92 a can at Wal-Mart. Not the end of the world, but I might not have bought the whole case. (Side note: Today I saw pineapple at Wal-Mart for $1.00 a can! For the cheap stuff! Hopefully that will go back down soon.)

There's a lot to keep track of so make a list and keep it in your purse or wallet, so if you see an unexpected sale you can decide whether or not it is REALLY a good deal. On your list, you may want to use the price per ounce for comparison since some items are packaged in different quantities.

Click HERE for more information on Case Lot sales and a price comparison sheet created by Prepared LDS Family. (The prices reflect stores in Northern Utah, but you'll get the idea.)

2. Stock-up price. When something that you want to have in your storage is pretty low, you might call it the Stock-up price. It means: Get a bunch! For example: When ground beef goes on sale for less than $2 per lb, I get at least 10 lbs and then I package them into small portions and use for a while.

Note: To keep your storage replenished, replace items used as you go. Sometimes it's hard to pay more than your stock-up price, but buying a few items a week to keep up with your storage is less traumatic to your bank account.

3. Pay attention to sales. Every week, our two local grocery stores come out with an ad of their weekly sales. Grocery Smarts is a website that matches grocery ads with coupons...

4. Use coupons. A few years ago, I did the whole 4 Sunday paper thing so I could get 4 sets of coupons. With the price of the papers and all the literal PAPER I ended up with, I decided that it wasn't for me. BUT I do save the coupons that I get with my ads in the mail, and I use online coupons that I find through Grocery Smarts or another site called Freebies 2 Deals.

5. Use a list...and stick to it! This can be even easier when you have your meals for the week (or more) planned before heading to the store. If you know what you're making the next few days, you can make a more efficient shopping list, hopefully eliminating those last minute trips to the store.

Click HERE for more information on couponing.

Click HERE for some great tips on quick shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment