Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Making your own foam soap

About a year ago, I started feeling annoyed at the amount of hand soap our family was using. With 3 young boys using the bathroom, it seemed like I was always refilling the soap dispensers or cleaning up little mounds of dried soap.

On top of that, at Wal-Mart, the generic brand, Equate, has gone from a 64-oz bottle to a 44-oz bottle for the same price.

So I looked around online and I found that you can make your own foam soap with regular hand soap and I decided to give it a try.

The verdict: I'm hooked! In over a year I have gone through only TWO 44-oz bottles of liquid hand soap.

Here's what you need:

Foam soap dispenser
Liquid hand soap
Water

Here's what you do:

Mix ONE part liquid hand soap with FOUR parts water. Ta da!

 
Here I am, pouring some soap into an empty bottle.
 
 
 
Adding water. You may need to shake it a bit as well.
 
 
And that's it. As long as you have a foam soap dispenser (which they sell for less that $2 each in the same area as the hand soap) you are set!
 
 
 
Here is the current dispenser in my bathroom.

There are only TWO draw backs that I have found. One is that the dispenses don't work for more than 6 or 8 months. I just recently bought new ones to replace the first ones I purchased. Even with this, I think that the savings MORE THAN out ways having to replace the soap dispenser once or twice a year.

The other draw back is that you have to make sure your family scrubs there hands together a bit before putting them under the water because the foam soap is so much lighter than straight hand soap. This has worked out fine for us, but is something to consider.

 

Please note: I am not endorsing the Equate brand...I am just cheap and that is the cheapest brand at Wal-Mart currently.

1 comment:

  1. This soap idea is good. We love to refill our dispensers. So sad that the price on Walmart soap refills went up!

    ReplyDelete